Toledo Goldfish Science kits are a great STEM activity allowing children to explore real-world life science. Watch your tadpole change from tadpole to frog. This is a fun and engaging hands on educational activity for both kids and adults.
Educational Resource Packet: Click Here for PDF
How to Raise Tadpoles:
Raising tadpoles can be fun and educational! Frog tadpoles are a great starter pet and a great life science lesson on frog life cycles.
What to prepare:
- A suitable container - Like an aquarium, fishbowl, large plastic bin, or garden pond.
- Clean Freshwater at room temperature
* Use water treatment solution for let chlorinated tap water sit in container at least 48 hours for the chlorine to evaporate before adding tadpoles.
* If using water treatment, add two or 3 drops to water, mix, and let sit for an hour or two.
Acclimation and Care:
The process of adjusting the water in the bag to match the water in your new aquatic creature’s home.
- Wash and fill aquarium 3/4 full with room temperature water.
* Be careful not to use soap as any leftover residue could be harmful to your aquatic creature.
2. Treat water with water treatment solution. Add 2 or 3 drops of solution
to water, mix, and let sit for 30 minutes.
* Leave aquatic creature in UNOPENED bag in a dark cool area until ready to acclimate and release.
3. Float the unopened bag in the aquarium or tank water for 15-20 minutes.
4. Once the water temperatures are similar remove your aquatic creature from the bag and place it in the aquarium.
* DO NOT pour the shipping water in your aquarium or tank. It can have
a high ammonia level that can affect the water quality in your tank.
Wait 24 hours after receiving your aquatic creature to start feeding.
* Feed only a small pinch of flakes a couple of times a week.
* Boiled leafy green vegetables can be used to supplement diet.
* Do not overfeed as this will negatively affect the water quality.
Weekly partial water changes are recommended. Typically, 30-50% water change is suggested. Don’t forget to treat new water and slowly acclimate again.
Tadpole -> Mature Tadpole -> Froglet -> Frog:
- Small frogs/tadpoles can transition from tadpoles to frogs in around 6-12 weeks but bullfrog tadpoles can take up to 2 years to fully transition!
- This process is called metamorphosis. Back legs will develop first, then the front legs changing the tadpole to a froglet. The tail is then reabsorbed and will slowly disappear.
- The length of frog development is temperature and environment dependent. It is important to keep your habitat at room temperature and out direct sunlight.
- Frequent partial water changes are recommended. Typically 30-50% water changes is suggested. Don’t forget to treat new water!
- As tadpoles develop legs they will need a perch to spend time out of the water.
Lower water level and add clean rocks, decorative branch, other perch.
Please note: This item is a living being. We hope your tadpole/frog lives a long, happy life! But there is always a chance its lifespan will end prematurely. Before you buy consider the possibility of disappointment about the tadpole/frog’s lifespan. DO NOT RELEASE TADPOLES OR FROGS INTO THE WILD.
Shipping restrictions: Bullfrog tadpoles can be received within 24 hours, so please be prepared to receive your tadpoles before ordering. Addresses must be a street address (NO PO BOXES) in the continental US excluding. Always check any local or state restrictions before ordering.
These are live animals and may not survive shipments in extreme heat or cold. We do package our shipments well, but please postpone your order if daytime temperatures in your area are below 45° or above 90°.